GRCS Board Information
The Galapagos Rockford Charter School Board Dates for the 2021-22 school year are:
- August 12, 2021 (Thursday) https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83622044784
- November 16, 2021 (Tuesday)
- February 10, 2022 (Thursday)
- May 12, 2022 (Thursday)
Board meetings are held at the Lower Academy campus at 2605 School St.
Due to uncertainty about COVID-19 precautions meetings may be on Zoom.
All Board Meetings are open to the public and all begin at 5:30pm.
We even allow lawyers to come as long as they sit in the back. But, remember, friends don’t let friends go to law school.
Did you know, that according the Christian Science Monitor (February 15, 1994), that the number of lawyers in the US is 40% more than we really need? Furthermore, each of these excess lawyers contributes to a $1,000,000 drain on our country’s GDP (resulting in 100s of billions of dollars in negative GDP). Maybe, we should produce more teachers, doctors, engineers and artists…
Board Meeting Minutes from 8-12-2021 will be posted following approval at the next board meeting.
Board Open Meetings Act Training
Mandatory Continuing Education Training for Board Members (2020)
Giye Filipowicz Certificates of Completion (Parent Board Member)
Monica Smith Certificates Of Completion (Parent Board Member)
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
The FOIA Officer for Galapagos Rockford Charter School is:
Michael G. Lane- CEO
All FOIA requests should be mailed to:
Galapagos Rockford Charter School
Attn: Michael G. Lane
2605 School St.
Rockford, IL 61101
Please review the policy below, if you would like to initiate a FOIA request.
Galapagos Rockford Charter School has always been at the forefront of providing high quality, healthy food to our scholars. We were the first school in Rockford to ban junk food and we were the first to focus on providing healthy, high levels of organic and locally sourced foods in all of our scholars meals.
Please see our Wellness policy for more information:
This draft replaces previous policies and shall be formalized by May 1, 2021.
Requests for Proposal
Asbestos Operations and Maintenance Certifications
EPA Designated Person Training
This notice was posted in February of 2021 and provided to parents and staff in May 2021.
Adult/Pediatric First Aid, CPR, Aid Certifications
Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA)
What is SOPPA?
The Student Online Personal Protection Act, or SOPPA, is the data privacy law that regulates student data collection and use by schools, the Illinois State Board of Education, and education technology (EdTech) vendors.
On August 23, 2019, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker signed into law a new version of SOPPA that gives parents greater control over student data. Among the changes is a new requirement to enact breach notifications that are available to the public.
SOPPA will also require Illinois school districts to provide additional guarantees that student data is protected when collected by EdTech companies and that data is used for beneficial purposes only. The law is effective on July 1, 2021.
What does it mean for you?
If you are a parent or guardian, you will have greater control over your child’s personal information. In many cases, SOPPA gives parents the right to inspect, correct, and delete their child’s data, regardless of whether it is held by a school or a third party EdTech vendor. Illinois schools will also be required to post on their web site the types of student data they share with EdTech vendors.
As a school we will be required to inform parents of the EdTech products in use in our classroom and ask for parental consent when appropriate. We will need to ensure the EdTech vendors chosen by staff are part of our approved vendors and have signed contracts with us.
Ensuring our scholars’ safety is critically important to Galapagos, and establishing protocols compliant with this legislation will enable us to do so consistently.
In preparation for the law going into effect on July 1, 2021, we are developing resources to support new requirements, protocols and regulations. These will include a portal to view data breach notifications and information about Galapagos vendors who receive scholar data.
What Ed-Tech Vendors are contracted with Galapagos?
9/01 GRCS will continue to update this list and will provide more information regarding these vendors and our agreements with them. You may click on the vendor to see our SOPPA agreement.
You may also go to check contracts at the Student Data Privacy Consortium.
- We do not collect, maintain, use, or share Scholar Data other than as needed for an authorized educational or school purpose.
- We do not use or disclose Scholar Data for behavioral targeting of advertisements to scholars.
- We do not build or create a personal profile of a scholar other than in furtherance of a K–12 school purpose, or as authorized by a parent.
- We do not knowingly retain Scholar Data beyond the time period required to support the school’s purpose, unless authorized by the parent.
- We will maintain a comprehensive data security program that is reasonably designed to protect the security, privacy, confidentiality, and integrity of Scholar Data against risk through the use of administrative, technological, and physical safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- We support access to and correction of Scholar Data by the scholar or parent by assisting the school in meeting these requirements.
- We require that our vendors and service providers are bound through a written contract to maintain the same level of privacy protections as we do in our agreements.